UPDATE: Due to overwhelming demand for our youth sailing program which opened for registration Jan 1, we have reached our capacity and registration is closed. If your child is already registered, classes start the week of June 21. If your child is not registered you can email us at email@example.com to be placed on the waiting list. We regret any disappointments.
We have a great season planned for our 2021 Junior Sailors! As usual, classes will run three hours (see class schedule below). We engage kids age 7 to 17 and of all experience levels. From beginners to competitive racers, you’ll find a class that fits your child’s comfort level. The first session will run from June 21st to July 16th, the second session will run from July 19th to August 13th. Students can take one or both sessions.
Tips for Registration:
- To take advantage of the sibling discount, add all siblings to the same Cart. Don’t checkout one sibling at a time or the discount won’t work. There is an option on the Checkout section for “Add Another Registration”
- Opti Yellow AM, Orange AM, and Gray AM are all different Opti Beginner Morning Classes. Opti Blue PM and Red PM are different OPTI Beginner Afternoon Classes. If a class is full you must choose a different colored class.
- A “Full Season” is the combination of the first and second sessions of eight weeks at a discounted price. Don’t sign up for the “First Session” and the “Second Session” or you’ll pay a higher fee.
- You’ll notice that there is a Supplemental Form for Dry Sail Boat Storage. This is only for Personal Boat Owners only. Please fill this out ASAP to reserve a spot for your boat before the dry sail lot fills up.
- Sign up by April 1st for early bird pricing! After April 1st, prices will go up to $50 for full-season and $25 for half-season.
- At the end of checkout, Active asks if you want to buy refund protection for $120, you won’t need this, select “No”.
Important Dates and Fees:
Schedule and Class Descriptions:
Morning: Yellow, Orange, Gray
Afternoon: Blue and Red
An introduction or reintroduction to sailing. This class is for the young student who has no prior sailing experience. Beginner students will have fun and learn skills in both small group and whole class lessons. The basics of sailing, wind directions, parts of the boat, rigging, steering, sail trim, tacking, jibing, knots, towing, and docking, capsize and recovery, bailing as well as basic boat care. Swimming, games, and knot tying will all be part of this fun-focused introduction to sailing class. This class will be taught primarily in Optis and Blue Jays.
Opti Green Fleet – Intro to Racing
This class is designed for the young sailor who has mastered the beginner class and is ready to learn some basic racing skills. These skills can be tested at local Eastern Connecticut Green Fleet Regattas. These fun low key regattas are for kids that want to begin and test competitive racing. Owning your own boat is a good idea and encouraged.
This class is recommended for sailors who have participated in two full seasons of sailing classes who are age appropriate and ready to move on from the Opti. We recommend at least 13 years old. Lessons will be primarily taught in Fevas and 420s. Intermediate sailors will build upon the skills learned as beginners. A combination of fun activities and skill-building drills will be incorporated into the class to develop a love of sailing and confidence in each child. Sail trim, weight distribution, upwind steering, points of sail, sailing backwards, and introduction to spinnakers will all be covered in class. Seamanship and basic racing will also be introduced.
This class is for the Opti Sailor who is eager and committed to learning racing skills. This class is longer in length to provide sailors more time in the boat, a concept proven to develop stronger skills. Opti racers will develop racing skills including rigging for optimum speed, race preparation, and strategy development, various starting tactics, upwind/downwind steering and strategy, and rules. Classes will be formatted to include both small group instruction focused on boat handling (mark rounding, roll tacking/gybing, starting, etc.) and whole class racing. Opti Racers will be encouraged to participate in Twilights, weekend racing, and regattas (for which coaching will be provided).
This class is for the 420 Sailor who is eager and committed to learning racing skills. This class is longer in length to provide sailors more .time in the boat., a concept proven to develop stronger skills. 420 racers will develop racing skills including rigging for optimum speed, race preparation and strategy development, various starting tactics, upwind/downwind steering, double handed sail trim, and rules. Classes will be formatted to include both small group instruction focused on boathandling (mark rounding, roll tacking/gybing, starting, spinnaker and trapeze etc.) and whole class racing. 420 racers will be expected to represent NBSA in the ECSA team races and are encouraged to participate in Twilights, Weekend Races, and regattas(for which coaching will be provided).